Swift Counselling working mid-way between Brecon, Hay on Wye and Builth Wells in Wales, offers a specialized service to adults, children of all ages, teenagers and young adults who have experienced physical or psychological trauma. We also provide supervision for trauma therapists.
Psychological trauma occurs as the result of a traumatic event that involves an experience or enduring event(s) that overwhelm our ability to cope or understand what is happening to us. Post Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD) is most commonly used to describe the symptoms arising from traumatic experiences, though it must be noted that not everyone who experiences a traumatic experience will develop PTSD.
PTSD symptoms can differ from person to person. They can be mild and transient through to extremely disturbing and long lasting. One or more of the following are typical (this list is not exhaustive – see under Trauma for more):
- Upsetting memories such as images, thoughts or flashbacks
- Sleep disorders such as insomnia and nightmares
- Re-experiencing the trauma mentally, emotionally and physically
- Stress and anxiety disorders – being on ‘edge’
- Panic attacks
- Despair and depression
- Poor self-image
- Difficulty concentrating and trusting people
- Avoiding people and anything that remind them of the trauma
- Turning to alcohol and/or drugs and/or sex for relief.
Causes of trauma include (this list is not exhaustive – see under Trauma for more):
- Actual violence
- Threat of abuse or violence
- Witnessing abuse or violence
- Accidents (car/rail crashes, explosions, fires, etc)
- Catastrophic events (bombings, war, earthquakes, etc).
Impact on lives of unresolved trauma is increasingly recognised as a significant cause of difficulties people experience in their personal lives and in their relationships. Unresolved trauma can, therefore, be the cause of couple and family problems. Left untreated, non-transient symptoms can make the problems much worse.
Effective treatment methods are available. At Swift Counselling we mainly use a relatively new, clinically proven therapy called EMDR (Eye Movement Desensitization and Reprocessing), together with CBT (Cognitive Behavioural Therapy).
Highly trained and experienced EMDR therapists will work with you. You will find therapists trained to the highest level of qualifications in the field of EMDR in the UK. We have used EMDR with a wide variety of clients: from very young children to elderly adults and with traumas due to single events, such as a car accident, through to highly complex ones arising from, for example, systematic childhood abuse.
Getting treatment is quite simple. The Clinic operates in Boughrood, Powys near Brecon in Wales.
Normally we are able to see clients within a week of contact.
- Bullying: My transformation described as ‘awesome’
- Car accident: EMDR was incredibly effective
- Childhood abuse: Freedom found at last - 28years after attack
- Childhood neglect: No longer waking up each morning thinking about past and childhood
- Sexual assault: Red is now just a colour rather than blood
- Family & Couple Therapy
- Individual Counselling